Monday, October 24, 2011

DIY - Sewn Fall - Butterick Dress


The short version of this Butterick pattern is a great addition to my wardrobe and looks perfect with footless tights or cowboy boots.  I love the pleats on the bodice, but it's a little too low cut for the office so I layered it with a tank for modesty.  This fabric I used for my first version is a thick cotton with stretch, so with all the gathering under the bodice I looked super preggo.  So I ripped off the skirt, and cut off about 1/4 of the width (I measured under my bust and multiplied by 1.5 to get the right width).  I also decided to add a thin band to make the waist more fitted. 


I threw a short cardigan over the shoulders and a sparkly necklace for work. The length was perfect for some slouchy calf-length suede boots. The pockets in the front were pretty useful and super cute. I think when I make this one again I'll put pockets in the side seams instead of as patches. I'll also use a silkier fabric which might make the gathers fall better so I can nix the waistband.  Some darts had to be added to the bust which was pretty annoying since it is lined but I know for next time. I think I wil cut the smaller size bodice but leave the waist measurement so the cups actually fit me.

This is an incredibly easy pattern that can be altered into tons of different styles. I will definitely be making this one again, maybe shortened so I can pair it with leggings once it gets cooler out. I found this to be a great one day project - my favorite kind!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment