Friday, June 17, 2011

DIY - Pencil Skirt (quick) Tutorial


This is a quick overview to putting together a quick and perfect and comfy and sexy knit pencil skirt. Unfortunately I couldn't give you a real tutorial because I am fresh out of knit fabric (tear!). I even had to cut up a Tshirt for lining fabric!

The pattern in pretty simple to draw up. Measure around waist, hips and thighs (where ever you want the hem to fall) and divide each of these by 4. The pattern piece is going to be used for the front and back and will be cut on the fold for perfectly symmetrical pieces. No need to add seam allowance as you want the knit pulled tightly over you.


For example:

My measurements were – waist 36”, hips 40”, thighs 32”. So when I drew my pattern piece I started with a straight vertical line measuring 18”. This is the length from my waist to midthigh. At the top of that line I drew a horizontal line measure 9” (1/4 waist) and at the bottom an 8” line (1/4 thighs). About 1/3 of the way from the top line I drew a 10” line for my hips. Now just connect the lines in a nicely curved manner. The straight vertical line is your center front (or back) and the sloping line is your side seam. Cut 2 of these from the fashion fabric and 2 from the lining. I lined mine because the knit was very thin and I was worried about feeling too exposed.

The waist band is just a rectangle the length of your ¼ waist measurement and 3” tall. Cut 2 of these from the fashion fabric and 2 from the lining.

Now that you’ve got this all cut out, time to sew! See the pink lines for stitching guidance. Instructions use ½” seam allowance.


Place the waistband fashion fabric right sides together and stitch down the side seams. Repeat for the lining.

Place the skirt fashion fabric right sides together and stitch down the side seams. Repeat for the lining.

Pin the waistband fashion fabric inside the waistband lining, right sides together, matching the side seams. Sew across the top of the waistband. Turn waistband right side out and press.

Pin the skirt fashion fabric inside the skirt lining, right sides together, matching the side seams. Sew around the hem of the skirt. Turn skirt right side out and press hem flat.

To finish, pin waistband to skirt, right sides together. Sew through all 4 layers. Finish seam with serger or leave raw, this is your only visible seam allowance.

See! Easy! I love this skirt. When I stock up on knits again I will definitely be re-creating this one.

**Notes**
*Next time I will make the waistband 1-2" smaller than the skirt because I definitely needed that belt to keep it from sliding down. Maybe some extra-wide elastic to go in the casing or instead of the waistband.
*Definitely press between steps! This creates nice straight and flat seams and everything will fit together better as you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment