Monday, January 10, 2011

DIY - Happy New Year!

There are a lot of projects in the works for the beginning of the New Year. Maybe I’m a little too ambitious this month but I guess we’ll see how far I get. The biggest project I’ve started on is Project Restyle, hosted by A Beautiful Mess and Smile and Wave.

How it works – Take used or unwanted items and turn them into something new! You can restyle, repurpose or transform things you have collected and are just lying around. Check out the Flickr group for a slideshow of inspiration.

So far for Project Restyle I’ve done a sweater a la Grosgrain (check out the tutorial here)


A Tshirt necklace with a flower pendant


And I submitted my Ikea table just to be different!


Look What I Did –

I tried out this Ruffle Necklace from Poppy Chic.

Tutorial – Ruffle Necklace by Poppy Chic
Ease – 4/5
Difficulties – Gathering 30" of fabric without the threads snapping. I also used a pretty cheap chain that broke twice while stringing it through the casing.
Alterations - I macahine basted the casing because I was too tired to hand stitch at the time. This is probably why it was hard to gather the fabric.
Make it again? – I love the fan that the gathers fabric creates. This is very simple but definitely stands out. I would make this again with a chiffon fabric for a lighter fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment